The Business Studies Department at Werneth is experienced, enthusiastic and innovative. Business Studies is delivered at Werneth School by two experienced teachers – Mrs. G Bull (Subject Leader) and Miss Morris (.
Key stage 3
In Year 9 students study a wide range of topics to give them a broad introduction to Business Studies. These include: Business Purpose, Aims and Objectives, Business Ownership, Marketing. This provides students with the foundation knowledge necessary to succeed at Key stage 4.
Students will also complete an enterprise project where they work in teams to come up with new product ideas and decide how they will encourage customers to buy them.
Key stage 4
In Year 10 you will study BTEC Tech Award in Enterprise.
With the BTEC Tech Award in Enterprise, you can explore what it means to set up and run a business enterprise, as well as develop key skills and gain an insight into the sector.
The BTEC Tech Award in Enterprise is a practical introduction to life and work as an entrepreneur, and you will:
• Develop an aptitude in planning and carrying out an enterprise activity.
• Develop the knowledge that underpins the effective use of skills that can affect the performance of an enterprise.
• Develop attitudes and ways of working that are important for enterprise.
The course has two internally assessed components, and one that’s externally assessed.
Unit 1 Controlled Assessment 60%
Unit 2 Examination 40%
This unit is internally assessed under controlled conditions. Students select two businesses and complete 3 controlled assessments based on the content of the unit.
A 1 hour exam comprising a mixture of multiple choice, short and extended answer questions. This unit is externally assessed.
At both key stages students develop a number of skills:
- communicating and explaining ideas
- thinking creatively and making decisions
- working with numbers to solve business problems
- learning about the world of business through research and investigation, as well as through practical tasks.