Any enquiries about Additional Needs can be made by emailing the address below...

SENDCO: Sara Burke (NASENCo Award)

Deputy Head of Teaching & Learning: Anna Fowler

Assistant Head Teacher of Inclusion: JoanneDee

Karen Sutcliffe: Assistant SENDCO, Vulnerable cohort

Francesca Cuthbert: Assistant SENDCO, Transition


Local Offer - SEN Support Stockport

Provision Map

What additional support can be provided in the classroom?

Within the SEND department there are currently 9 Teaching Assistants who go into allocated classrooms. In addition to this, the core subjects have additional staff attached to their departments; one Teaching Assistant in English, one Teaching Assistant in Maths and Two Science Technicians.

What provision do you offer to facilitate access to the curriculum and to develop independent learning? (This may include support from external agencies and equipment/facilities)

GCSE and KS3 exams are fully supported by revision lessons and revision weeks for formal exams. In Year 11, extra sessions are added to the students’ timetables, particularly after school and during lunch time sessions.  All year KS4 students have access to GCSE Pod which provides podcasts created to support learning at home.

Access arrangements are provided for identified students for all formal examinations within school.

At KS3, the school embeds the Accelerated Reading programme to support students’ reading and comprehension skills.   

The SEND department offers a homework club after school until 4pm, Monday – Thursdays. Parents of regular attenders to the SEND homework club will be notified if there are any changes to this arrangement.

Staff specialisms/expertise around SEN or Disability?

The school SENCO has the required National SENCO Award. All of the Teaching Assistants within the SEND department have a level 3 NVQ qualification, or equivalent, in Teaching and Learning. Within the SEND department there are many specialisms. We have qualified staff that deliver programmes to identified students in: Motor Skills, phonics and Speech and Language.

What on-going support and development is in place for staff regards supporting children and young people with SEN?

The SENCO provides regular training sessions on SEND related topics to all staff. The Assistant Headteacher for Character for Learning offers regular behaviour management training to staff. Selected staff carry out Excellence Visits to Outstanding schools to evaluate provisions and strategies and disseminate best practice to all colleagues. All staff have mandatory and additional optional access to CPD opportunities, including those focused on meeting the needs of SEND students, through their Performance Management.

What arrangements are made for reasonable adjustments in the curriculum and support to the pupil during exams?

Students with a history of using ICT as their ‘preferred’ way of learning may apply for ICT in their exams via the discretion of the SENCO. We are currently moving towards using Claroread; a highly effective, multi-sensory software solution for supporting reading and writing. We have a dedicated member of staff in school for identifying, managing and supporting access arrangements.

The Sensory Support Service advise school with any strategies to support students that have a known sensory difficultly. The SEN Intervention Teacher assesses students annually regarding access arrangements for any identified students. The access arrangements are distributed to all staff termly by the SENCO and SEN Intervention Teacher. Staff are to notify the SENCO about any upcoming tests so that these arrangements can be put in to place.

How do you share educational progress and outcomes with parents?

The SENCO or a nominated member of the SEND department will meet for three annually learning conversations with parents of a student with an Educational Health Care Plan, regarding their progress at school. Interim reviews can be arranged where needed if there are any concerns.  We hold annual parents’ evenings at school for parents to meet with subject teachers. Termly school reports are sent out to parents regarding progress. Every student has two allocated Heads of Year to allow for more frequent and flexible opportunities for parents to meet with, and work with school where there are any concerns about the progress of a child. Contact details for pastoral staff are available on the school website.

What external teaching and learning do you offer?

We have a SEN Intervention Teacher who delivers intensive learning sessions to students that fall into the criteria for this support.

What arrangements are in place to ensure that support is maintained in “offsite provision”?

Students attending ‘off site provision’ are supported by a designated member of staff. Their role is to provide support to students, parents and employers, through weekly communication and fortnightly monitoring visits. Records of all visits are written up and filed in the student’s individual folders.

What work experience opportunities do you offer?

The SEND department support students in finding work experience placements where needed. All students are encouraged to engage with one week of work experience at the end of year 10. Support is offered to students to assist them in finding a suitable placement by form tutors, pastoral staff and the SEND department. All placements are visited or communicated with before work experience commences to conduct the relevant Health and Safety checks and Risk Assessments.

Annual Reviews

What arrangements are in place for the review meetings for children with statements or Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plans?

The SENCO or a nominated member of the SEND department will meet for three annually learning conversations with parents of a student with an Educational Health Care Plan, regarding their progress at school. Interim reviews can be arranged where needed if there are any concerns.  Minutes of the meetings are sent to the Local Authority and other relevant agencies to inform them of students’ progress and targets set as a result of the meetings.

What arrangements are in place for children with other SEN support needs?

Reviews are held termly for students that are on at SEND Support.

Keeping children safe

What handover arrangements will be made at the start and the end of the school day? Do you have parking areas for pick up and drop offs?

We can make discreet arrangements for a handover process for identified students. This will be discussed with the SENCO and SEND department in advance. We kindly ask that parents do not pick up students at reception before 3pm unless special permission has been granted.

We have designated visitor parking, and disabled parking bays, at the front of school.

What support is offered during break and lunchtimes?

A7 is a supervised base for students to access during social, unstructured times at school.  There is also a pre-school and after school homework club offered every Monday to Thursday. The school library is open during social times, other than Friday break times. There is a Friday Sports Club offered during lunch time.

How do you ensure that my Son/Daughter stays safe outside the classroom? (E.g. during PE lessons and school trips)

Risk Assessments are carried out prior to all school trips. When Educational Health Care Plan students are on school trips we ensure that staff are aware of their needs and allocate Teaching Assistants where needed.

Teaching Assistants are deployed at change of lessons for named students.

All PE equipment and teaching areas are Risk Assessed periodically and checked for maintenance annually.

What are the school arrangements for undertaking risk assessments?

Risk assessments are carried out by the School Business Manager in conjunction with all interested/involved parties as and when required. All teaching spaces are Risk Assessed by the SBM and Site Manager periodically.

Specialist Health and Safety advisors conduct Risk Assessments in specific area’s e.g. Fire, H&S.

Where can parents find details of policies on bullying?

Parents can find information on our bullying policies on the school’s website. There is also information in the student handbook and in the parents’/carers’ handbook.

Health (including Emotional Health and Wellbeing)

What is the school’s policy on administering medication?

In the case of a student being prescribed medication parents can request that it is administered by a trained first aid colleague during school hours. Prescription medication is administered at the main office when the required paperwork is completed by the parent/carer.

Paracetamol and Ibuprofen are kept in school and can be administered if a student presents at the office requiring pain relief. This is in order to prevent a child having to be sent home when it’s not necessary. In ALL instances the parent will be contacted and asked about this before any medication is administered. All administered medication is recorded in a log book.

What would the school do in the case of a medical emergency?

In a medical emergency fist aiders would attend to the student immediately and an ambulance would be called. An Ambulance protocol crib sheet is next to every telephone in the school, along with instructions of what to do in the case of an asthma attack.

How do you ensure that staff are trained/qualified to deal with a child’s particular needs?

All staff receive mandatory annual training on a wide range of students’ needs including but not limited to: medical needs such as epilepsy and asthma; specific learning needs such as dyslexia and dyscalculia and broader SEND training on ADHD, Autism. There is also an optional cycle of staff training provided for those colleagues working with students with particular needs for the first time.

ITLPS/IBPs are disseminated to all teachers of a child with any particular need and the pastoral team, subject leaders and SLT routinely check how action points are being utilised in the classroom.
Which health or therapy services can children access on school premises?

We have a school nurse attached to the school several days a week that provides drop in clinics. We also have an Emotional, Wellbeing support worker based in school. Referrals by staff can be made to Mosaic where applicable and criteria is met.

Communication with Parents

How do you ensure that parents know “who’s who” and who they can contact if they have concerns about their child/young person?

The school holds an Induction Evening for Year 7 students with the form tutor, key pastoral staff and SLT in the Autumn Term. For those students joining the school at any other point than the Autumn term of Year 7, pastoral staff make contact with home in the first instance.

Do parents have to make an appointment to meet with staff or do you have an open door policy?

We do have an open door policy, however appointments are preferable, as the member of staff that you wish to see may not be available. Appointments can be made by ringing the school switch board 0161 494 1222 or emailing the member of staff directly. Email addresses are available on the school website.

How do you keep parents updated with their child/young person’s progress?

We issue out termly school reports which show pupil progress in all subject areas as well as the student’s attitude to learning score. We hold parents’ evenings annually to ensure that parents can meet subject teachers and discuss progress, with three parents’ evenings available for students in Year 11. Parents may be invited to intervention evenings where students may be underachieving to discuss ways forward. Staff may make telephone calls to inform parents of progress and issues. Students with SEND will have a termly learning conversation with the SENCO or other designated member of the SEND department.

Do you offer open days?

There is a set annual open evening for Year 5 and 6 students. Parents can also arrange an appointment to visit the school where needed.

How can parents give feedback to school?

Parents can offer feedback to school via telephone, email and the student school planner. Parents can also write comments on ITLPs if the student has Learning Support sessions within school and via the parental questionnaire sent out at SEND reviews.

Working Together

Do you have home/school contracts?

Yes, these are in the Year 7 induction pack and are handed out by form tutors to all other year groups for both students and parents to sign annually.

What opportunities do you offer for pupils to have their say? (E.g. School Council)

There is a School Council at Werneth. All students can apply to be a member of the School Council. Students also have opportunity to apply to be a School Ambassador to allow them to work with teachers and SLT to make positive changes to school in the following pathways: Teaching & Learning, Student Support and Wider School Life. Form discussions are carried out regularly through Senior Students to feedback issues /queries to the School Council. SLT, subject teachers and form tutors can carry out pupil voice conversations where needed.

What opportunities are there for parents to have their say about their Son/Daughter’s Education?

Parents can discuss their child’s education via parents’ evenings and review meetings. Parents can also contact the school via telephone, email and the student school planner.

What opportunities are there for parents to get involved in the school or become school governors?

We have a parent governor within school. If a place becomes available letters will be sent home for any parents wishing to apply.

What Help and Support is available for the Family

Do you offer help with completing forms and paperwork?

Yes. If parents inform us when they need support and assistance with paperwork we will allocate a relevant member of staff to support.

What information, advice and guidance can parents and young people access through the school?

Many of the school’s policies are available to download on the school’s website. Information such as social evenings and the school calendar are also available on the school’s website. When students are in KS4, they have access to meetings and drop-ins with Services for Young People to discuss careers and post 16 options.

Who normally provides this help and how would they access this?

There are a number of staff who can provide support in school. For example, Form Tutors, Heads of Year, SENCO, SLT, Student Support. All of these members of staff can be contacted through telephone and email.

How does the school help parents with travel plans to get their Son/Daughter to and from school?

Travel trainers can get involved in identified student’s needs where applicable. Please contact the school’s SENCO for more information.

Transition from Primary School and School Leavers

What support does the school offer for year 6 pupils coming to the school? (E.g. Visits to the school, buddying)

Transition visits are arranged primarily by the school’s Year 7 Head of Year. The Head of Year also visits the Primary feeder schools to deliver sessions about joining Werneth and preparing students for this transitional process. The SENCO will arrange extra transition visits with the SEND students where applicable.

What support is offered to the young people leaving the school? (E.g. Careers guidance, Visits to Colleges, apprenticeships, supported employment, etc.)

We have a regular member of staff from Services for Young people that comes into school to offer individual, group and drop-in sessions to guide and support students in making post 16 choices. In KS4, there is a section of the curriculum that addresses careers and post 16 options through designated Life Learning lessons. All students in year 11 receive an individual IAG appointment where they are provided with Impartial Careers, Advice and Guidance. Post 16 Options Information Evening is also held at the end of the summer term for year 10 students. This provides an excellent opportunity for students and their parents to gather information and speak to colleges and apprenticeship providers.

What advice/support do you offer young people and their parents about preparing for adulthood?

The SEND department can offer transition visits to post 16 provisions for KS4 students and works closely with the local college providers to put in the necessary arrangements.

Extra-Curricular Activities

Do you offer school holiday and/or before and after school provision? If yes please give details.

Student Support offer pre-school and after school provisions for students every day before school, and Monday to Thursday after school. This is primarily run as a homework club and is supervised at all times.
Some subject teachers provide extra lessons for Year 11 students, as well as weekend revision classes before exams and during school holidays. Timetables are published on the school website.

What lunchtime or after school activities do you offer? Do parents have to pay for these and if so, how much?

There are a range of activities available to students at lunch times and after school. The PE department offer seasonal extra-curricular activities and this information is given out during form time.

There is also a Friday sports club during lunch time which is very student friendly and is supervised by PE staff and Junior Sports Leaders.

Students do not need to pay for any clubs that are run by Werneth staff after school. If there are any opportunities of outside agencies providing an extra-curricular activity, parents will be notified if there is an additional cost prior to the activity running.

How do you make sure clubs, activities and residential trips are inclusive?

Clubs are all inclusive - before or after school these vary between - band , singers, choirs (mostly at lunch time). Dance and Drama activities vary throughout the year and run at both lunch times and after school. All are free of charge and open to all. Performing Arts run whole year group theatre experiences; whilst a contribution maybe asked for; students are not discriminated against if they are unable to pay. The department does regular fundraising, this, alongside student facilitation allows us to support access for all, including residential experiences.

We will provide Teaching Assistants to support SEND students where appropriate. We ensure that trips are to suitable premises with appropriate transport and equipment provided. Risk assessments are carried out prior to any trips taking place. Occasionally the SEND department run specialised trips.

How do you help children and young people to make friends?

All subject teachers are encouraged to promote teamwork, paired and small group work in the classroom. We hold regular extra-curricular activities, including our school productions in order to promote social inclusion. We put on social evenings and events, such as the Can Do days, and residential trips. The SEND department offer A7 as a base for students to socialise in a supervised area. We have a ‘buddy’ system for identified students that we feel need support with making friendships. There are selected Speech and Language groups delivered within school for students that have complex social, communication difficulties and are monitored by the Speech and Language Service.

Website Links